28 February 2015

Saturday spent mostly in the man cave - tinkering

Just been paid so it was time for a trip to Morrisons at Chester Le Street to restock the kitchen cupboards, fridge & freezer with some goodies!
After spending nearly £140 on food/drink shopping it was time for a treat so we headed down to the Tasty Tucker opposite the market place, couple of doors down from Cycle World. I found it a month ago by accident when we called in past Cycle World. After sampling some of their pies and cakes it will be a once a month treat when we go to Chester Le Street. Today we bought chicken curry, steak & ale, minted lamb and beef & black pudding pies. Her in doors got a massive cream / strawberry fruit scone thing.
Back home unload the shopping and into the man cave to catch up on some tinkering. Main job of the day was to sort out our winter boots. I have been after a new pair of mtb winter boots for a couple of years but failed twice with 45nrth fasterkatt's so decided to stick with what has never failed yet, Northwave's. I fancied the Extreme winter gtx version but Westy's did not have my size and only selling off larger sizes. The ones I am currently using are 10 years old now and still going strong. I bought Angus a pair of Artic Celsius gtx last year for his crimbo and he has never complained of cold feet but said they were getting a little tight for him now. So I decided to use his old ones (which just fit me, alittle on the large size but ok with thick winter socks) and he has ended up with a new pair of larger Artic commuter gtx boots. I know things have gone up in price over the years but I paid £70 for mine 10 years ago and the rrp is now £170. I shopped around and I got the them for less than £92 inc p&p, now that is some saving. More on the boots in a few weeks in my Fresh Goods Sunday.
In the end we fitted new Ritchey V5 cleats to both boots, did not take long and the cleat bolts came out with ease from my old ones, good old copper slip!
Then it was onto the Krampgease, its had a slow rear puncture for a couple of weeks but I could not be arsed to strip it down and just kept pumping it up. Well I finally sorted it, one tiny thorn end which was snapped off. Tube patched and ready to go again.
Then it was on to the wifes Merdia commuter bike, she was complaining it was not moving up on to outer chainring on the front. I checked the gears and rear mech hanger has been bent so straightened that out and adjusted both front & rear mechs.


Another little item which turned up this week was a lower headset bearing for my Cannondale SuperX. After the last couple of rides the lower bearing has been a little stiff/rough. I have replaced it twice before and always pack it with plenty of grease but they don't seem to last long. Its the same bearing HDL004 on my Cannondale Super six hi mod road bike and I have only replaced that one once and the bike is an older model but then it dose not get as wet and muddy like the Super X. I emailed Qwerty Cycles as there website said sold out to see when they were going to get more stock in. The next day I got an email from Racheal saying they would strip a headset down just for the bearing and how many would I like. I used the code STW10 for 10% discount and you get free p&p and it was here the next day. You could not ask for any better service than that. I have never had any hassle every time I have ordered from Qwerty and will use them again for hard to get hold of dale parts. Here is a link to the bearing
I will replace it when it get too rough/stiff, probably get another good couple of rides out of it first.



No comments:

Post a Comment