20 March 2015

Day 2 - Trip out to Kielder on the Salsa Beargrease

Day 2 - after having an early night I woke up cold and the air bed had gone flat. I put on some more layers of clothes to try and warm up but could not be bothered to blow the airbed back up. One thing for sure its pitch black at Kielder and looking up into the sky at 4am the stars were shinning away and it was -3degrees. Another hour or so kip then it was time for breakfast. The gas in my stove was frozen so breakfast took ages to cook but got there in the end.
Part 1- Todays plan of action was Lakeside Way then Deadwater Fell. Restocked energy bar, packed camera, turned on Garmin and I was off. I took the North side on the outward leg and you have a steep climb straight from the off around the sewage works then its a constant up, down and bends all the way to the dam. They have finally got the mile markers up so you know how much further you have got to go. The sun was blazing away and views over the calm waters were fantastic. After 4 miles my front disc pad gave up so had no front brake. I stopped at the chairs and decided to have a drink, noticed I forgot to refill my bottle form yesterday! not a good start but I was not going to turn back now. I seen two red foxes, two rabbits, one deer and loads of little birds but no squirrels. Once I reached the dam it was time for some photos and a little sip of juice. Over the dam which is the flattest and straightest section on the whole route. Onto the South shore to Tower Knowe then Leaplish. The south side doesn't have as many good views as it mainly wooded, away from the waters edge. The sun was still blazing away and my water had long gone by now. Nothing was open at Leaplish but I was on the last section back to the village. Another thing about the south side is there are a few gates to open/close but gives the legs a little rest. Back to village for a well earned drink and renew my front disc pads. Time for early dinner then off again. The sun was still blazing away and no wind. The weather is just unreal for Kielder. I made sure I refilled my water bottle this time
Part 2- gentle ride around the village, past the maze, quick look around the Castle, past the bike shop and up the steep hill to the skills loop. At the top the skills loop my legs were well tired, do I turn left and do Deadwater or turn right and have some play on the Northshore/skills loops. Well I turned right and entered the Northshore section, I only lasted 30 seconds before losing traction. You could not even stand up on the wood it was that slippery. No grip plates, chicken mesh, now't. So onto the skills loops which needs some sorting out tbh. Downhill and back into the village and had a look up to the Salomon Farm but it was closed so headed back to base for something else to eat in the sunshine. Packed away the gear for a lovely cruise home on the twisty roads.
Todays totals - 28miles, 2.45hrs ride time and 2000+ft climbing
Trip totals - 69miles, 7.30hrs ride time, 7000+ft climbing
I will be back again to concur Deadwater, probably not in such good weather conditions! below are the photos from Day 2, enjoy and more soon





















































No comments:

Post a Comment