19 April 2015

Fresh Goods Sunday - Cannondale Cypher Helmet

ah helmets, I just hate shopping for a new helmet but it has to be done now and then. I have used Met helmets for nearly 30 years and they have been fantastic. I don't really look after my helmets just dry them after each ride. The rain keeps them clean and that's about it. The big problem I have with helmet manufacturers is they are designed for long/thin heads, my head shape is more round so struggle to get anything to fit width wise. Even Met over the years has changed and I am down to one or two models that fit now. A few years ago when Cannondale first brought out a helmet to the uk market I was up in Inner's / Alpine Bikes and they had the road and mtb versions in. I tried the road one on and there was plenty of width. I took a mental note of that for future purchase. As Met helmets seem to last for ever I don't really replace them that often but my winter Stradivarius was looking a little tired so I checked the manufacture date- June 2000! so it was time for a new one. I have helmets for winter, road summer & mtb summer. My winter one has got to have enough room for my 45nrth hat to get under and thought about the dale one. We called in past Westys on the way back from Whitby and they had stock of all road/mtb versions, in all colours/sizes and ended up with the Cypher model in black/green L/XL 58-62cm. Plenty room for my head plus winter hat inside. Jobs a goodun. The rrp is £100 but Paul did a deal at £55.
I have worn the helmet over the past 6-8 weeks and once set up I have had no problems. The overall helmet quality is no where near as good as Met, the straps are thinner and are cut / separate after the buckle compared to Met which are continuous with a pull button. The retention system works but dose not have the feel /quality of Met but is easy to adjust with one hand. The shell design / finish is good and I like the matt finish. There are plenty of pads inside which are not too thick. There are no reflective logos / stickers any where for night riding. Only time will tell if it lasts as long as any of my Met models.
Manufacturers blurb -
New Super Light "Cypher" Helmet From Cannondale
  • Peak Protection technology uses dual-density EPS foam to reduce weight while maintaining the highest industry safety standards.
  • Polycarbonate Internal Cage reinforces critical vent bridges for best in class safety and ventilation.
  • Multi-molding Polycarbonate shell technology bonds the outer shell with the EPS shell for one-piece integrated design.
  • 30 flow through vents control comfort by maintaining airflow through the helmet. Combined with heat sealed moisture wicking pads keeps the sweat under control. System Integrated macro and micro adjustable fit belt w/Ergo-fit EVA occipital pad offers unmatched comfort and customization. Comfortable SOFT-TOUCH webbing with cam-lock dividers offers secure adjustment and all-day wear ability.
  • Weight: 215g (M size)










SKU# 3HE08
Peak Protection technology uses dual-density EPS foam to reduce weight while maintaining the highest industry safety standards.
  • Polycarbonate Internal Cage reinforces critical vent bridges for best in class safety and ventilation.
  • Multi-molding Polycarbonate shell Technology bonds the outer shell with the EPS shell for one-piece integrated design
  • 30 Flow Through vents control comfort by maintaining airflow through the helmet. Combined with Heat sealed moisture wicking pads keeps the sweat under control.
  • System Integrated macro and micro adjustable fit belt w/Ergo-fit EVA occipital pad offers unmatched comfort and customization.
  • Comfortable SOFT-TOUCH webbing with cam-lock dividers offer secure adjustment and all-day wearability. Complies with one or more of the following standards USA CPSC, CE EN1078, AS/NZ 2063 

No comments:

Post a Comment