27 May 2015

Early morning local offroad ride on the Salsa Carbon Beargrease

Woke up just after 5am and the sun was blazing away, time to get into my cycling gear and go for a local early morning spin. I took the Beargrease out down to Durham, spin around the river banks, over to Maiden Castle, Houghall woods, the trod, back into Durham and home via Frankland / the sands. All in 16 miles of near perfect dry trails and sun. Just as I was nearing home it started to cloud over and the wind picked up, by 7.30am the best of the weather had gone for the day. Durham is lovely and quiet at time of morning and had the trails more or less to myself!
The 5" Jumbo Jim on the front is perfect and cannot fault the tyre in any way yet. Plenty of grip for the terrain I use, no self steer and is lighter than the Bud. I will try it out on a rolling daryl rim at some point just to see how much bigger the volume is compared to on the rabbit hole but I am happy with it on the current rim/wheel set I mam running at the mo.
Below are a few snaps from the ride, after the ride we had a trip out to Beamish, more on that in a blog to follow.
lovely sunrise



dropping down into Durham


huge tree stuck behind the weir



jumbo jim loving the dry singletrack



no sand left on Houghall beach now


blasting through the woods

light at the end of the tunnel


beautiful view from the top of the Trod



far too early for ice creams

starting to cloud over on the way home


probably the best view of Durham Cathedral (apart from the scaffolding)

No comments:

Post a Comment