26 July 2015

Fresh Goods Sunday - Panaracer Gravel King Tyres - 28c

After build my Bowman Pilgrims it was replacing my winter road bike so had planned on just using my Conti 4 Seasons 25c with full mudguards all year but when I received the frameset the mudguard adaptors were not ready so I could run wider tyres for the summer / autumn without mudguards. 32c tyres were just too wide and didn't leave enough clearance on the fork crown for me so tried some spare Schawble Marathon racers 30c which were spot on but the heavy wired option.
I decided upon the Panaracer Gravel king tyre in 28c version as I did not want to go up to the 32c tread pattern/width. The tyre feels very tacky on touch with a fine file tread pattern. I had my concerns at first for off road duties but after several blasts up and down the old railway lines of County Durham I have not had any major problems. They are fast / comfortable enough on the road / tarmac sections as well.
You have got to allow more breaking distance on the fast / steep downhill sections on the line as I have locked up the rear wheel a few times with Shimano di2 hydro brakes.
They also don't like silty mud either and I lost traction straight away but fine gravel toppings is no problem. I would defo not run the 23 or 26c version on the type of terrain I ride but down south on canal paths etc they are probably fine. The claimed weight is slightly out but not a million miles away.
Here is the blurb on Zyro's WEBSITE rrp £29.99, I got mine from Westbrook Cycles with 20% off and next day delivery, cheers Calvin. Must admit not a bad tyre for the money, see how they last compared to Marathon models.





No comments:

Post a Comment