6 September 2015

Road ride around upper Weardale area.

Today I drove up to Stanhope to do a loop on the road bike. I had the map out a planned a good loop up to Nenthead - Allenheads - Rookhope - Blancland - Edmudberys - Stanhope. So I set away up the back way to Daddry Shield along the twisty lumpy single track road which has nearly all be resurfaced then right, over the bridge then left to take the back road to Cowshill. This road is even narrower, poor surface and even more hilly but it takes you away from the A689. Once I reached Cowshill I joined the A689 which was not too busy as it was still early morning past Killope Museum and up the killer climb. I had a head wind all the way from Stanhope and 3/4's the way up I had to stop for a quick rest, I was feeling sick and heart rate was sky high. I got going again after a few mins and dropped down to Nenthead to turn right to pick up the C2C to Allenheads. I like this stretch of road when you have tail wind! Then it was yet another climb out of Allenheads but followed by a big downhill to Rookhope. I had planned on turning left over to Blanchland but my legs were saying no at this point. The sign post had Stanhope 7 miles! straight on I went, once through Rookhope I turned left and took the back lane to Stanhope and yes another big climb followed by a fast descent.
Once back at Stanhope I didn't have enough miles in but my legs were telling me no more big hills so I decided to turn right back onto the A689 for a couple of miles then there is a small road on the left to join back onto the outward leg road and back to the ford / Stanhope. The open air swimming pool was even open, should have took my trucks for a dip. There was only 1/2 a dozen brave soles in. I covered just over 35 miles and nearly 4500ft of climbing.
Conclusion - I don't like a strong head for 15 miles - no enough miles in my legs - too many pies in my belly! all of which I know so need to loose some weight and put some more miles in I reckon.













































No comments:

Post a Comment