24 December 2015

Cannondale Beast of the 'N' East - 27.5"+

Well firstly apologies for the lack of cycling blogs of late, I have had some time off my bikes due to various reasons but normal service should resume very soon.

Secondly Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all the people who click on this and read my guff.

Thirdly I have been after a 27.5"+ plus mtb since the manufacturers released their 2016 bike ranges. I do like the look of the Bad Habit - Dales full suspension model but it has very tight clearance on the seatstays and I have had to buy a new ipad which put paid to that so changed my order for a Beast of the East 1.
It comes in three models with the 1 being the top end one rrp £2100. Westbrook Cycles put one on back order with CSG and it landed in the UK last Friday and shipped to Westys to arrive this Monday. I popped down yesterday to pick it up and they now have the lower 3 moel rrp £1100 & middle model 2 £1600 of the Beast of East built and in the shop. They also have a Bad Habit 2 rrp £2500 which they just started to build when I left in medium. The orange colour is very nice.
This afternoon we decided to build the bike and swap a few parts over, front tyre, inner tubes, bars, rear rotor, seatpost & saddle. The wheels already have the tubleless tape fitted and I have some Fenwicks sealant so might have a go at converting them later. There looks to be plenty of clearance on the lefty to run a Panaracer 3.5"  tyre which may be a option as well. I might also reduce the front rotor size down to 160mm, I  don't think I will ever ride it hard enough to warrant a 180mm disc.
Time will tell if the only low spec part - Deore brakes will be ok. There are plenty of XT disc brakes heavily discounted at the mo! or a nice set of Hope'ies.
I have just had a quick spin up the street & back so cannot comment on the ride yet. I did pop it on my Park Scales - just over 26lbs.
Many thanks to Calvin & Jason for sorting me out with yet another bike for the collection.

























No comments:

Post a Comment