15 March 2016

Cannondale Slate - just whats it all about = gravel, road, offroad, adventure?

Well that's a good question which there is no right or wrong answer according to the cycle industry press. I have read many reports / tests on the net and in the magazines and all the jorno's come away with different conclusions apart from one which seems to the tyres. When Cannondale first announced the slate it was after I bought my Bowmans Pilgrims - "gravel bike" with no clearance for full guards + gravel tyres. Then I thought oh what about one of these but then I was thinking what am I going to use it for - some short road sections, some railway lines, some less rough off road but then I have loads of other bikes than can all do that. Would it be too draggy on tarmac or more comfortable, would be slower off road I you brake and look for smoother lines? I would have probably used it more on mixed surfaced routes during the winter months but then problem number two, I hate getting sprayed in cold mud and you cannot fit full guards. I have another three bikes with clip on guards if and when I need to use them so I came to the conclusion the bike was not suited to me or the type of terrain / time of year of riding.
So they hit the UK shores 2-3 weeks ago and they do look good I must admit, especially the CX1 with pink, sorry no purple crank arms / hubs (depends upon the light and camera angle). Westbrooks have all THREE in at the mo and there's not a huge amount difference in the rrp's
Base 105 £2500, middle Ultegra £2800 & top CX1 £3000. To be honest with the very little in difference in spec on the top two it will be down to some ones personal choice of one ring up front or two. Now I love the sram one ring / huge range cassette and have it on several bikes and never had any problems with plenty of range in gears. I am not sure how this equates when you use it on a faster road type bike if you can feel the jumps in the gear ratios too much?
Back to the tyres which is probably one of the biggest critical parts of a bike, they come with Panaracer tyres branded up with Cannondale logos. They look like a massive version of there gravel tyre which have used for over a year with no problems but this is what's always lets the bike down in the reviews of poor grip /  traction off road and very thin sidewalls. One good things about tyres is they are very easy to swap if you don't like them. Here lies the next problem - what do you replace them with in 650b x 42mm size and is available in the UK?
Here is a good review on the CX1 .
Mark from the shop has posted some photos of a recent couple of rides on his CX1 and there is also a couple of Ultergra's on local old railway lines down Stockton way on Westys facebook page.
Time will tell if they take off or not and if Cannondale plan more in the 2017 range and beyond.
This is one thing I love about Cannondale they have come back out of the box again and building some great bike concepts again -

one on the left with click on mtb guards





 



No comments:

Post a Comment