17 April 2016

Fresh Goods Sunday - SRAM XG1090 Red Cassette - Powerdome X

I have been using a Sram Red Powerdome cassette on my good road bike for many years now and never had any problems with it. I also run cheaper models of Sram cassettes on my other bikes with just the same performance as an equivalent Shimano cassette. I find them smooth & quiet running even under pressure on steep out of the saddle climbs. Yes the powerdome probably wears quicker than say an Ultegra or Dura ace model.
Since I replaced the chain on my Nano Black it has skipped a little on a couple of cogs under full power. I was hoping after the chain had settled in / stretched alittle that the jumping would stop but that was just wishful thinking. With Spring here and no more road salt it was time for a replacement cassette. I bought just the same again XG 1090 11-28 model. They are not cheap but they are a piece of artwork in machining terms and weight - 156g
Fitting is very simple- take the wheel out, skewer out, cassette lock ring tool on, cassette remover tool in and turn, clean and re grease the freehub body, slide on the new cassette and nip up the lockring with cassette tool. Check the gears and jobs a good'un. This should last me another few good years as I don't do mega miles on the Nano as I have that many bikes to choose from! I don't have any interest in upping to 11 speed at the mo as the goupset i have has enough spread of useable gears that I need.
The rrp is a eye watering £262 but as ever shop around as I paid £145.50 inc p&p. Interesting that the new XG1190 rrp is £232.

Here is the manufacturers blurb-
The new SRAM Red components have been designed with the twin goals of eliminating the superfluous while focusing on an overall synergy. This is a new groupset with a fresh new approach to everything, 6 brand new components make the new SRAM Red the pinnacle of road racing technology.
The new SRAM RED Powerdome X cassettes eight cogs in the middle are machined from a single block of high grade tool steel, increasing stiffness while weighing even less than a titanium cassette. Between each cog in the block is a StealthRing elastomer to reduce vibration and noise.

Hollow steel dome makes for the stiffest gear cluster ever at the lightest weight
Heat-treated, high-grade tool steel provide superlative durability and a beautiful finish
StealthRing elastomers and advanced tooth profiles eliminate vibration and noise for a smooth, silent ride
Aluminium cog: lighter, stiffer, stronger due to the choice of design, material and production process
Technology: Powerdome X, StealthRing, X-Glide cogs
Weight: 135g (11-23)
Material: High Grade Tool Steel Cog Cluster, Heat Treated Aluminium, Lowest Range Cog, Elastomer Rings
Speeds: 10 rear










all done n dusted - ready for some miles now

old one needs a degrease and set aside for spares

No comments:

Post a Comment