16 April 2017

NE XC RD1 Hetton Lyons + Summer tyre fitting

First job of the day was to swap the Nobby Nic on the back of the Cannondale Beast of the N East to a Rocket Ron 27.5x3" summer tyre. I am keeping the Panaracer on the front.
Then it was onto the Kramgrease and took off the Surly 29x3" Dirt Wizards and fitted the Surly 29x3" Knard summer tyres.
Second job of the day was to strip down the Beast of East ready for the xc race at Hetton. It was a quick 5 min job removing bags, mud gurads, pumps etc.
Third job of the day was to drag myself over to Hetton Lyons Country Park for a practice lap. I was a little lost off but cobbled together some sort of lap as it was set out ready for the U12's race at 11am. Once they had started I signed on the Go Ride Fun cat which was on the back of the U14/16's race at 11.30am. Its been quite a few years since I have raced and was kind of looking forward to it in a way. Got to the start line 10 mins before but we were a little late in setting off. I think I counted about 4no U16's, about 8no U14's and just two fun riders inc myself. The other bloke looked a little more serious than me! After the race briefing we were off and was planned to do a 1/2 lap followed by three full laps (unless lapped). The course was the best you can make out of Hetton on the hillside with loads of single track and only two flat'ish open grass sections. After the first half lap there was only one / two riders in sight so just got my head down and plugged away. I passed a young'un going the opposite direction so he tagged onto the back of me and we had a battle around the next lap whilst pulling in the next rider. I over took the lost rider that was now in front of me and he dropped off and dnf'ed I think. I played cat and mouse with the next rider and overtook him. I had the other fun cat rider in my sights through the trees but miss judged the laps and thought I had one more but after I got lapped by the leader he was on his last lap so when I crossed the line that was race over - 38min 27 seconds / 5.02miles. I was looking forward to another lap as I was sort of warming up but also tiring on the short steep hill sections. It was not that warm and a few drops of drizzle now and then cooled me down. The ground was bone dry and dusty apart from one soft'ish section. The bike was riding well but could have down with some more pressure in the rear tyre. I handed in my number and I was on my merry way. The main race was 2pm, there was not many pre entries and the car park was looking quiet so not sure how many was on the start line. Looking out the window as i am finishing this and its chucking down now, shame they will get a wet race.









No comments:

Post a Comment