1 February 2018

Hunt 650b wheelset - converting to tubeless

After buying some more Stan's and a Park Tool value core remover tonight's job was to convert the Hunt 650b wheels / tyres into tubeless set up.
I had already applied the gold rim tape a while ago when these was a safety recall on the rim tape but I applied a fresh couple of sections for the valves to go through. I left one side of the tyre wall seated and removed the inner tube. Soaped up the non fitted tyre bed and inflated the tyre through the new tubeless valve. Once seated I let the tyre down again and removed the core with the new Park Tool. I wish I had bought one ages ago instead of using pliers, so much easier and less damage. Injected 90-100ml of Stan's per tyre. Screwed the core back in with the new tool, reflated the tyre and did the usual spinning wheel both ways, upside, shaking wheel, bouncing wheel, left to settle etc. I then cleaned off the valve area and rim bead and there was no problems. I did the rear wheel first with the Panaracer Comet Hard Pack tyre then the front with the Spec Fast Trak tyre. No problem's with either of them airing up or seating.
Tomorrow morning will tell if there has been any major air leakages. If they end up the same as the Hunt 700c wheelset I own then I only have to add a small amount of air each week but they have Panaracer Gravelking tubeless tyres fitted.










Tubes for spares now when going out on a ride, just in case!


No comments:

Post a Comment